My writing was shaped by a lot of elements. My mother, for one, started teaching me how to write. She was followed by my kindergarten teacher, then my first grade teacher, then my second grade teacher, and so forth up unto Mrs. Carter in Junior Honors English. I have had lots of people teaching me to write. But none have succeeded
One of the earliest memories I have of writing was when my mom would sit right next to me and help me learn how to write words and letters. My second grade teacher I remember had us writing little books. Some of these books I did enjoy but most other assignments I did not.
I remember having to write a bibliography and a script for the history fair in 5th and 6th grades. I also remember writing letters to my cousins and friends who are on missions. These helped my writing by giving me positive experiences by making me think that writing wasn’t just good for nothing but making teachers happy. I always wrote papers because my teacher wanted me to and I needed it to get an A in that category or class.
I have never enjoyed writing. It may be because I am not very committed to writing. I can write a paper and get it returned with very few errors on it but I still never liked to write on a topic I didn’t all ready know about. Writing was always something I tried to avoid whenever possible. I feel confident about writing but do not enjoy it.
There are some things I do like to write, however. Like when I write some of the adventures I had over the summer in my own personal journal (which gets wrote in like once or twice a year). Others are notes in welding or machining or when doing mechanics. I enjoy it when I can actually have hands on work to research my writing if you will. One of my most favorite writing assignments though was probably the big foot essay I had to do for Mrs. Carter in 8th grade.
I do not have any skills in writing. I cannot think of words to say and write them down on a piece of paper at the same time. I cannot think of a story to write. It does not come to me like it does for other people who can actually write and are good at it. I have a major handicap when it comes to spelling also. I cannot spell some words for the life of me. When I write for myself like for example when I am texting I cannot spell certain words so I have to find a synonym for it.
I do not like having an audience. I would much rather think nobody not even a teacher was going to read it. It just scares me to know someone is going to be reading material I do not feel comfortable with in the writing of it. I feel like at times I can write good, just not well. I feel like other times I mess the whole thing up from my first word.
Texting is one form of writing I enjoy and could not do very good without. I am not one of those texting junkies that most kids are I just use it when I have to. I think it is kind of a stupid invention though. It can sometimes be slow and people don’t always answer you like they would if you just called them.
These are all things that have shaped my writing throughout my writing life. Most of it I did not enjoy or felt like I needed it. But writing is a really good form of communication that has been used for centuries. This does not mean I enjoy it, but it does not mean I totally hate it either. I write when I have to but try to do as little as possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment